Jack’s Birth Story

Updated: Feb 6, 2021

I’ve always wanted to write out both of my boys birth stories. I’ve always loved hearing other mothers birth stories because they are all so different; some are hard and traumatic, while others are easy and beautiful. I believe it’s so important for all mothers to hear birth stories because it can help inform, educate and prepare pregnant women about all their options before giving birth.

Now here is the birth story of my first born, Jack Arthur.

Two weeks before Jack’s due date on July 25th, 2017 at midnight, I was sleeping and I felt a ‘pop’ and I started to leak. I got up to go to the bathroom and I had some bloody show and my water broke. I woke up Aaron and said ‘I think I’m going to have the baby’, we immediately called my midwife and I told her what happened and she said she would come in the morning to come check me. I wasn’t having any contractions so she said it could take 24-48 hours before the baby arrives. She told me to get some sleep and to call if anything changes.

I went back to sleep and woke up around 5am to my midwife calling me saying she was going to come by to check me out. I was still leaking, but not a lot, so I was just wearing a pad. My midwife arrived and she checked me out and said it was just a partial water break and I was a couple cms dilated. I was in early labour, she told me I could go into active labour in 24-48 hours. She suggested going for long walks to get contractions going or I could try a smoothie with castor oil (I opted out of that suggestion).

The whole day, I was experiencing mild cramping, it was similar to menstrual cramps so it was manageable. I walked everywhere to get my contractions to pick up, but my contractions were still very mild and very staggered. I ended up just waiting around at home and relaxed, while just experiencing the mild contractions for the rest of the day. My midwife called in the evening just to say to get some rest and if nothing picked up by the next day we can try some other options to get my contractions to start.

I went to sleep and I was woken up at around 5am to some intense contractions. I woke up Aaron and he immediately called my midwife. She stayed on the line and timed the contractions over the phone. The contractions were much more regular and super painful, so she said she was on the way over.

I had no idea that contractions would be that painful, I did not want to move in fear that it would cause me more pain, so I laid in bed for an hour and a half. When my midwife arrived, she said it was time for us to go to the Birth Center, my contractions were getting closer and more intense.

I was very hesitant to leave our bed because the pain just terrified me. My midwife said that we can just do the birth at home if that’s what I wanted. We live in an apartment building, so I had zero desire to give birth at home, this gave me the courage to get up and get moving.

Aaron had to go pick up a rental car across the street (we didn‘t own a car at the time) and I waited for him to arrive, which felt like hours but it was only 5 minutes.

I got in the backseat of the car and lied down, it was honestly the worst position to be in because every bump and turn caused so much pain. Aaron also made a wrong turn at one point and he was just apologizing the entire time; bless his heart I know he was just as nervous and terrified as I was about having a baby.

20 minutes later, we arrived at the Birth Center in Toronto. The Birth Center is honestly amazing, if you have a Birth Center where you live I highly recommend having your delivery there.

My midwife asked if I wanted to get into the tub and have my contractions in there. I got in and it helped for a little while, but my hands were shaking from my anxiety about the pain that I had to get out. I just had no idea how to manage the pain, I tried doing the breathing techniques but I was so scared that it wasn’t helping.

My midwife then suggested the nitrous gas (laughing gas) to help with the pain. It did not lol nothing was helping me. I kept thinking to myself “I should have gone to the hospital to have an epidural!”.

This went on for a few hours, but felt like an eternity. I started to feel like my body wanted to push, so my midwife told me to try and go on all fours and push through each contraction. I was so exhausted and nothing was happening. Then my second midwife arrived because they had switch and she checked me out and said that my water was fully broken yet. During the next contraction she told me to push and she would break my waters manually.

Once she broke my water, everything progressed quickly. My midwife suggested going on the birth stool to push instead of kneeling. As soon as I went on that birth stool, I went primal. My screams were so intense during each push, I could feel Jack slowly coming out and it was terrifying. My midwife asked at one point if I wanted to touch Jack’s head and I remember just thinking "that's gross" lol.

7 minutes of pushing and Jack arrived into the world at 11:37am on July 26th, 2017. It was love at first sight. He was beautiful, Aaron and I were crying.

As soon as he was born, I forgot about all the pain from the past 6 hours and I was just in pure bliss to finally hold my baby boy.

It is absolutely incredible what the female body can do; to be able to grow a baby for 9 months and to give birth. It is truly amazing ❤️

29 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All